Monday

A Mindful Reflection

Positive psychology reflection by: ahundredyears
"I was the recipient of a random act of kindness tonight.
As I was grocery shopping, a man came up to me and offered me a $10 off coupon that his wife had saved, but couldn’t use. It expired today.
I was so startled and in such a hurry, that I took the coupon from his outstretched hand, said a quick thanks and hustled along.
Several hours later, I’m still thinking about it. I’m wishing I had taken a few more seconds to really look that man in the eyes and say thank you. Because he didn’t have to do that. He didn’t have to give that coupon away. It was worthless to him. Just a piece of paper. And yet, knowing that it would have value for someone else, he took the time and the effort to find someone who could use it.
Sure, he didn’t walk miles in the snow. He was already at the store and the paper was already in his pocket. But he made a conscious decision to help a stranger, instead of throwing that small slip of paper in the trash.
No, he didn’t have to give that coupon away. But in the process of making that small decision, he made somebody’s day brighter. And today, it was my day.
I feel so often, that time just rushes by, that people are a blur as they race about, eyes on the future, and none of us really take the time to notice or appreciate the moment we’re in. Then, like a spot light, a span of seconds is illuminated. I find my gaze fixated, my attention and my heart unwilling to let go. Time screeches to a halt and a moment becomes infinite. I snap out of the frenzied fast lane and remember that this is the kind of feeling I want to cultivate for the entirety of my life. To allow one moment to be the only thing that’s important, until the next moment arrives.
I don’t need to be in a race to finish something, just to have something as equally urgent take it’s place. My life does not need to be defined by the quantity of experiences, but by the quality. So often I forget this resolution, this life manifesto that I have adopted as my own, because society is constantly telling me I’m wrong for thinking so and brainwashing me back to the party line.
So, every time I get the reminder that it’s worthwhile to take a deep breath and stop trying to break the sound barrier, I am grateful to the catalyst.
I renew my intention to take time, slowly, and enjoy things for what they are in the present. To form connections, however fleeting. To treat each moment, as all the time in the world. To take joy in the little things. And every time I succeed, it is a small triumph. And every time I fail, it is an opportunity to learn from my mistakes and do better next time.
So, thank you again kind man, for the reminder of the goodness of people, the eternity of a moment, the strength of an open heart and open eyes, and the power of a small decision. Also, the coupon was really great."

Effie's Psych
Twitter,
Blogger,
and Tumblr.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment